Tuesday 12 April 2011

The 'one'.

So, my flatmate/bestfriend/confidante has entered a quest. A quest to find the 'one'. Now I don't think he's taking it overly seriously seeing as every girl he walks past could be the 'one'. In fact I rang him the other day and he said 'ooh, I think the ones are walking past'. Now forgive my pessimism but with this attitude and his general approach to women (and I mean- 'Hey dude, the blonde one over there, out of ten?' -'She's stacked, maybe an eight') I don't think he'll be finding the 'one' any time soon.


The point in this blog though, for me was to analyse the 'one'. Now I am a hopeless romantic, I make no secret of it and I full on believe in the one. And you can call me sceptical but surely you shouldn't look for the one. Surely if it was meant to be, it will be. They will fall naturally in to your life's path. Fate! Or not...?


I can see where my flatmates coming from, a few weeks ago I took a shower, returning to find my facebook chat box up to him, he's written me a little monologue about how he's failed over some girl, because and I would like to be very clear here HE was too lazy to get up off his bum and go and visit her. Never mind the pretty much guaranteed sex which would normally drive anyone with an xy chromosome, he was too lazy to leave the comfort of our halls to walk to see her. So after some dramatic talk about how he feels like an idiot and what could've been, he decides to watch Dear John (no, I'm not joking- we went on to analyse it the next day)  and searching for ice-cream, he decided to find the 'one'.


This is the beginning of my contemplation. I mean he is quite clearly wounded and in need of some kind of rebound sex, just some fit girl who can make up for it. But no, he's decided he needs to find the 'one'. The last time I checked, he was twenty, moderately attractive and not short of attention from the ladies but now he's clinging on to anyone he sees and making them into things they are not. Sound familiar girls? 


I've had my fair share of male attention, there's the first crush, the unrequited love (both ways), the first boyfriend, the rebound, the one you will never quite be over, the weird dates and the infatuations. I could go on. But I've never felt any need to meet the 'one' yet. Of course I've planned it all, the wedding (in my local arboretum- in case you're interested), the honeymoon (Australia), the house(Central London till we have children then Warwick afterwards) and the children (Oliver, Bella and Rose).


Every guy who I'm with gets this treatment, a run through in my mind. I'd never say it out loud, and of course they always fit, I'll adapt them. Our plans in life are very flexible- we plan things but we will change them to fit the course of our lives. I mean that up there isn't my plan, not really- I bet none of those things will happen, but what can I do without dreaming. 


But back to the 'one', I mean when you meet the 'one', how do you know you've met the 'one'. During that time you're so caught up in the moment that you can't bear to think of being with anyone else. The thought of being single and having a night at home with a meal for one and a film fills you with dread. So surely you're with the one? 


The 'one' seems to be a very subjective concept. I have friends who I think are perfect for each other, and they may well have found the one, but maybe in ten years I'll look back at this and think who was I even writing about. It's a broad term, hard to pin point.


But for now I'm going to stop writing and wish you all the luck in finding the 'one'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment